Skip to content

Fixing sofa springs

February 7, 2010

For some time I have been aware that my sofa has had at least one broken spring. Generally it was feeling a little too soft, and it sagged in the middle where there was one spring missing.

Months ago I investigated buying new springs, and found they are only a few pounds each. But they come in different lengths, and I tended to remember this job at work and forget it at home. So weeks passed with me doing nothing. However, the other week I was at work whilst Kat was working from home and I remembered. So I got her to measure the depth of the sofa, and I ordered new springs and fixings.

Yesterday after a very long time thinking I should try it, I finally set about my sofa.

First I took off the removable red cover, under which is the fixed pale covering. I thought I’d need to cut the covering material somewhere to get access, but when I flipped the sofa on it’s front I found the plastic sheet covering the bottom was held by staples. So with a screwdriver I began levering them out to remove the plastic sheet.

There were lots to remove, but they weren’t too hard to get out so I quickly got access to the underside of the sofa.

I’m not sure what I was expecting, but I was suprised how simple the structure of the sofa is. No custom metal brackets, just bits of chip board and bits and boards of some hardwood. Cut to shapes and forming the structure. Made me consider how hard t would be to make my own sofa…. But not today.

I could easily see that it wasn’t a broken spring as such, it has simply come out of it’s fixing.

Working in confined space wasn’t too easy, but I removed the existing spring and it’s fixings, and discovered that they were not that same as the fixings I got with the new springs.

The existing ones were quite clever, they clearly just hammered in place and gripped the wood. Where as the new ones I had needed nailing or screwing. Given the limited space and access I decided screwing would be easier so I grabbed a box of screws from the garage (some time ago i got a trade pack of various sizes from screwfix. Times like this it’s very handy)

Fixing the first bracket at the top(back) of the sofa was easy enough. But then I wasn’t sure how easy it would be to get the spring in place, so I decided I’d need to attatch the second fixing with the spring in place. Right about now I was thinking a second pair of hands would have been handy. Then I glanced accross at my side table and noticed a small g-clamp…of course! (It pays to untidily leave tools laying around the living room :-))
I fetched a small wedge of oak from my offcuts box and presto:

I could clamp everything in position whilst I flipped the sofa back over and screwed the front fixing in place.

Job done.

Having fixed the only broken spring I decided to try to make the sofa a little more firm where I usually sit. So I used the same technique to put an extra spring between two existing ones.

Hard to tell if there is much difference. I think so, but I could just be convincing myself given I know there should be.
All told it took about and hour and a half. So not too bad, for a job which took me so long to get around to. Now I can consider designing my own replacement….but maybe that’s taking diy too far.

About these ads
7 Comments
  1. June 10, 2010 12:56 pm

    Wow that looks like one heck of a job! Glad you managed it though!

  2. John Smith permalink
    November 21, 2011 11:54 am

    Unbelievable! I googled ‘sofa spring’ as my sofa has a broken spring. You have the exact same Sofa! Cheers, now I have a blow by blow account of how to fix it. Where did you get the spare spring can I ask?

    • danielwould permalink*
      November 21, 2011 4:00 pm

      ha, interesting co-incidence. I think the post has a link to sofa springs you can buy via amazon (it’s an affiliate link so if you use it amazon gives me a kick back of about 2p) but I found a bunch of places that sell them, just look for zig-zag sofa springs. the important thing is the length, double check measurements before you order. good luck!

  3. July 5, 2012 10:41 pm

    Good job but is it not better to buy brand new sofa or second hand. I just bought sh leather sofa for £50

    • danielwould permalink*
      July 6, 2012 8:31 am

      It certainly would have been easier to simply replace it, but where is the fun in that? I liked the sofa I had, and fixing it was interesting. Plus a lot less wasteful than throwing it away due to what was really a minor issue.

  4. Ian permalink
    August 28, 2012 7:30 pm

    I have just found this thread after hearing an awful twag and dropping into my sofa, I turned it over thinking it would be a bit of wood broken, I expected to be able to screw a new bit inot it and be finxed in 15 minutes,

    When i saw it was the spring snapped my heart sank, But I came online, have found this thread though and am about to order a new spring for only a few pounds, So I am happy again (at one point I thought out £1600 sofa was going to be scrap)

    Thanks for taking the time to put this on the web, Has helped me a load!

  5. October 29, 2012 2:06 am

    Useful information. Fortunate me I found your
    website accidentally, and I’m surprised why this twist of fate didn’t happened in advance!
    I bookmarked it.

Comments are closed.

Follow

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 97 other followers

%d bloggers like this: